Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It's Friday!!!!

Happy February!  It's crazy that it's already February and I still haven't started school!  Because the last few days had been so action packed, my friends and I decided that we were not going to do anything crazy.  We spent the day attending what are called "first meetings" which is where the professor introduces their class in about 20 minutes in order for students to get a better understanding of what the course is about.  I blogged for a while and then went out to lunch at the cafe in one of the local grocery stores.  That afternoon, two of my friends and I just walked around Stellenbosch, bought Nelson Mandela's biography "A Long Walk to Freedom" which we are going to share, and window shopped in a bunch of very cute/quaint stores in one section of town.  As usual, there was a braai outside of my apartment building and I tasted some really good fish that a German kid had gutted himself.

Because we live in an area with first year students, they have been doing stuff every night.  On Friday, they had a braai of their own - and theirs was way more legit than ours.  Two of my friends and I were walking out of our area, when we stopped to listen to the music the first years were playing and to watch what they were doing.  Two guys came up to us and we got chatting.  One was from Botswana and the other was from the Congo.  After that, we continued to watch what was happening and two other guys came up to us and started talking.  We chatted for a while and they had us try what they were braai-ing.  They got us rolls with some type of sause on them and then we waited for our boerewors (sausage/hot dog) to finish cooking.  I was a little apprehensive eating some strange meat, but they were actually really good.  Pretty boring day compared to sharks and stampedes of people - but it was nice to have a day to relax a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment