Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Off to new places...

A few years ago, I learned about a woman (Janet) who's father used to know my mom, who started an organization in Malawi.  Initially they worked with orphans, but have since moved to a new location in Malawi and work with local farmers, the school an a variety of other things.  When I decided to study in South Africa, I realized that it would be a perfect opportunity to volunteer with this organization and see what working in a developing country would be like.  Over the past few years, I realized that working abroad in developing countries is potentially something that I see myself doing and by volunteering with Go! Malawi, I would be able to have some experience and see if it is something that I want to pursue.

So, on July 9th (my birthday), I left my parents and hopped on a plane in Cape Town and made it to Lilongwe, the capital city of Malawi.  After waiting for a little while outside the airport, I was met by Bill (Janet’s husband), the Malawian director of the Go! Malawi (I can’t remember his name), Mike (a volunteers who goes to Bates College), and Jenni (the young girl who Bill and Janet are adopting from Malawi).  After putting my stuff in the car, we drove for a little while, stopped for gas and some food in a small restaurant and then made our way to the M'Pamila Village in the Ntchisi District.  This located in the middle of the country, but on the east side, near the huge lake (Lake Malawi) which is on Malawi’s eastern border.  It was an incredibly overwhelming car ride.  Everything was so different than what I had experienced.  The only way I can explain it in words (the pictures will do a better job) is that what I was seeing seemed to be more of the Africa I picture in my mind when I think of developing countries or the stereotypical image that gets portrayed.

When I had signed up for the volunteering, I had no idea what kind of stuff I would be doing on a daily basis.  I knew that the organization worked with farmers and coffee production and was involved in the school, but I wasn’t sure of the specifics.  The way I’m going to organize my experiences in Malawi is by type.  I did some of the same things everyday, so it would get a little repetitive.  Although I loved my time in South Africa and Namibia and I wouldn’t trade it for anything, Malawi was definitely a highlight of my time in Africa.  I learned so much about a beautiful people and country and was the most out of my comfort zone, but also very comfortable.  Thanks to my time with Go! Malawi, I came to realize that working in a developing country was not only something I was capable of, but also something that I wanted to pursue.

Enjoy!!



These are some pictures of the site I'm staying at.  We were way up in the mountains and you could see the lake off in the distance.  It was beautiful!!




No comments:

Post a Comment