Sunday, March 3, 2013

STOP!! Read this first before scrolling down!!

Hellooo Readers!!!

First let me apologize for the lengthy delay between posts.  I was trying to come up with creative excuses for my tardiness and I came up with 2.  You can choose according to personal preference.

     1.  I fought a lion and got all my fingers bitten off rendering me unable to type.
     2.  I fell off an elephant and have been in a coma for the past few weeks.

I personally don't really like either - they both sound pretty painful.  The real (less painful) excuse is that I've been so busy.  Who ever told me that I was going to get really good at doing nothing this semester must have meant that I would get really good at doing everything.  Because South Africa is so big and has so much to offer, I have been spending every weekend and really every waking moment basically playing (swimming, going to the beach, hiking, traveling...) and occasionally doing some piece of homework.  That's actually not true.  I have been playing a lot, but I have been doing a lot of reading for my classes and preparing activities for my first graders and other course work.  We're nearing mid-semester break and I have two research papers I need to be thinking about and drafting, a photo-essay, a group essay about the Lynedoch Community and a movie night to organize for our 1st graders and their parents.

But enough small talk - you guys are way more interested in what I've been up to.  Because I haven't posted in a while, things are a little out of whack.  The next few posts will be out of order chronologically, but I guess that's alright.  I will do my best to get up to date sometime this week and fill you in on my weekend in the Cederburg Mountains, my experience at the Holi One Festival of Colors, my excursion to Cape Point to see the penguins at Boulder Beach and some of what I have learned in LSCE about the "real South Africa," it's history, the legacy of Apartheid and how times may not be a changin' as much as people think.

Anyway, enjoy these pictures for now.  Thank you so much for all the interest in my blog!

Lots of love,
Katie

Preview:















2 comments:

  1. OK Kate, it seriously is not fun sitting here at home grading papers while you are bopping around all of the south of Africa. As they say here in Maine, although I really don't say as a Philly boy...,"I'm wicked jealous." The pictures are fantastic. Mom, Thomas, Patrick and I are missing your smiling face, but I did see one or two ear to ear grins in the photos. Thanks for sharing with all of us here across the pond. Oh, please come home with all of your body parts!!
    Love tons, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your dad are about as far apart - you in Africa and he's headed to Alaska! -- Good grief! But what an adventure you are having. The pictures are great and probably don't begin to show all the excitement! I miss you somethin' wicked, too - do people from Brooklyn say that? - I haven't sent anything for first grade - do you still want/need materials and do you need a box of stuff? I'll need a real mailing address. Love you lots -
    Mrs. Ford

    ReplyDelete