Friday, March 29, 2013

Activity 2: I hope this doesn’t cave in!!

Our next activity was was to the Cango Caves.  We had the choice between the normal or adventure tour and obviously I chose the adventure.  I thought for sure that we would be scrabling up cave walls and squeezing through tiny cracks, but it wasn't quite that intense.  One of the sections on the, however, was called the tunnel of love and the wall were really close together and you kind of had to squeeze through.  Also at the end of the cave before we turned around, we did have to lay down on our bellies and slide down a short rock slide head first.  The rock formations within the cave were really cool.  You had your classic stalagmites and stalactites, but then were were some other really neat structures.

Sorry the photos aren’t the best quality - but they’ll give you an idea of what the cave looked light.


The largest chamber of the cave was huge.  It has been used in the past as a concert hall.  I think this would have been really cool and the acoustics would have been spectacular.



When I first saw this rock formation, it was instantly reminded of an organ.  It turns out I was right - that was the name of the formation.


Some more cool rocks.  It think it's kind of hard to tell which way was right up in this photos so I very well may have put the photos in upside down.






For the first few nights we stayed in a hostel right on the Indian Ocean.  The first day, despite the rain, I went down to the beach with some friends and we played frisbee.  We also discovered that the water was super warm - much warmer than the Atlantic Ocean which I had been swimming in near Stellenbosch.  So, we went swimming.  We spent the nights just hanging out and talking with some South Africans that came to the hostel bar.  Zaas and I talked with one guy for a while about US and South African politics which was pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment