Friday, March 29, 2013

Vacation: an extended period of recreation, esp. one spent away from home or in traveling (New Oxford American Dictionary)

Finally. Vacation.  Although it seemed like the semester had just started and I haven’t done nearly as much school work as I would have done at St. A’s, by the time the end of March rolled around, I was very much ready for a break.  The week before break seemed much more like a typical week at St. A’s with 2 papers, a presentation and a test all due within a few days of each other.  But I should stop complaining because I have definitely had much more time for “extended periods of recreation” than many of my classmates back home.

Because I came to South Africa with a study abroad program, one of the benefits was that the program organized our break activities for me and the other American students that I traveled with.  All we had to do was pack our bag and show up when the buses came to pick us up.  We had four big vans that carted us around for the next few days.

We left Stellenbosch pretty early on Friday, March 29th so the bulk of the driving could be done before the day really started.  In the southern part of the country, running kind of parallel to the coast line, there is a drive known as the “Garden Route.”  This route is lovely to drive and is a full of all sorts of tourist traps.  For the first few days of break we did a handful of these activities.

Below are separate posts of each activity we did over the course of the week.  Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment