Friday, May 24, 2013

Day 6: “Grotto” go to Spitzkoppe

We drove to Spitzkoppe in our morning second morning at the Cardboard box and moved away from civilization (and nice showers) and arrived at the park in the late morning.  We ended up driving around looking for prime real estate (aka a place to sleep) and found cave that would do the job marvelously.  After marking our territory, we climbed up a rather large rock (it was huge actually).  We also saw some rock art and climbed to a giant rock arch.  We also tried to do some rock climbing on one of the rocks.  Thomas and Neil climbed up a short face, so obviously I was going to try.  I ended up sliding down the face a little ways and bloodying my elbows and the back of my leg, but other than that, I was totally fine.  I patched myself up and then we watched the sunset through two stone mountains.  We cooked dinner over a fire and slept without our fly on our tent.  It turned out to be the warmest night of the whole trip.  I was able to sleep with only sweatpants and one long sleeve shirt instead of the three I usually slept in.  We watched the stars and the moon move across the sky through a whole in the cave ceiling and waited for the giant lizard who shared our cave to come and eat us.
Pumba!!!  There is a group of warthogs in the middle of the picture.  We saw so many warthogs on the side of the road.

Spitzkoppe from a distance.

We decided that we needed to take pictures of our baby car in all of the hard-core places that we drove it to.  We thought it would be great if we sent Nissan all of the photos to help them market the car.

Home sweet home!!!

There are some paintings on this rock, though they are pretty faint and kind of hard to see.

One of the many strange trees in Namibia.  I'm not sure what kind of tree this is, but it was weird looking and felt kind of rubbery.

The cliff we climbed - looking down.  It's kind of hard to see, but there is a white dot kind of near the center of the picture.  That's our car - just to give you a scale of how high up we were.

The cliff we climbed - looking up.

My partners in crime!

Sunset.

**Neil took these pictures!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment